Saturday, October 2, 2010

Mi Barrio


Mi Barrio (My neighborhood)

I live in the most perfect location. Very close to the center of town but far enough away that I don't feel surrounded by tourists. Quevedo is between Metro stops Bilbao, Iglesia (where I lived when I studied abroad), Canal and San Bernardo. Located in the umbrella district of Chamberi. It's a very trendy neighborhood, with a lot of young professionals, just outside out Malasana.

Here are a few pictures of what I see on walk around the neighborhood.

Metro Stop Quevedo. Red Line 2. My apartment is the one directly behind the Metro.

The view directly outside my apartment. Can't help but smile when you walk out to this every day.

VIPS right outside my house. Oh the temptation. (it's an American style restaurant sort of like Friendly's)

The constant bustle of people on C/ Fuencarral

A typical walk down Fuencarral.

One of several movie theaters on my street.

I absolutely love all of the different styles of architecture of the apartments.

ZARA (my favorite store) on my street. This could be dangerous.

More of C/ Fuencarral

Yes there is a Starbucks on my street and within an hour of sitting there using the internet I met 2 Americans that I knew and a half hour later another. Sad. But sometimes we have cravings (or just need free internet)

Glorieta de Bilbao.

This is where I come to catch the Metro to work every morning.

Wandering the neighborhood streets

More of my neighborhood

Another of the 4 movie theaters on my street. Everyone is obsessed with Come. Reza. Ama (Eat, Pray, Love) because Spanish actor Javier Bardem stars in it

Movie theater in original language. Bustling with people on a Friday evening.

And there is a Burger King right on my Glorieta. Can't escape the American franchise.

Jugglers in the street trying to earn a little extra money and entertain the cars while they wait for the light (and me while I wait to cross)

C/ Bravo Murillo in the evening (Another branch off of Quevedo)

Lots of bars and shops on Bravo Murillo

TelePizza. Pizza delivery is a novel concept and definitely very much embraced by the younger generation.

A cafe right on my glorieta

El Corte Ingles right around the corner from me. For anything and everyone one might need. Literally. You name it, they have it.

My bank!

Instituto Homeopatico y Hospital San Jose on C/Eloy Gonzalo. Not sure what it is but it's right outside my piso.

Public Library! Definitely an excellent resource to take advantage of. I've already gone to sit and do BBI work in the quiet study area.

El Brillante. Famous for their bocadillo de calamaris (which I have already enjoyed)

Dog Park on Bravo Murillo

Bravo Murillo himself.


CANAL DE ISABEL II PARK

This is the park I come to every day to go running and to exercise. It's perfect for an afternoon walk or a day playing padel ball, soccer, or golf, or to have a snack at the cafe. It's open until 23:00 and it's absolutely packed at 22:00 and literally empty during the mid day siesta. So glad I discovered this gem.

Running track (1,000 meters around)

Futbol fields (always occupied morning until night)

Padel courts

The park has lots of pretty paths and places to sit.

Fountains in the middle of the park. Lots of sunbathers enjoying the weather in the upper 20's in October.

Fountains at full blast.

Driving range.

Golf course.

The outdoor exercise equipment. Free ellipticals, bikes, muscle building wheels, and back massagers.
The climbing bars for arm exercising. Who needs a gym?!

And there you have it. A little glimpse into my world. It truly feels like each day I'm living a dream. I live in Madrid! I'm still waiting for that to sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment